Professor. Yi, Chongku(이종구 교수님)
University of California, Berkeley
Ph.D. Civil and Environmental Engineering, May 2002
University of California, Berkeley
M.S. Civil and Environmental Engineering, May 1997
McGill University at Montreal, Canada
B.E. Civil Engineering, May 1996
Queen’s University at Kingston, Canada
B.S.H. Chemistry, May 1993
- 2002~2004 : WKA Inc., Orange, CA, USA, Proj. Engineer
- 2004~2006 : PBS&J Inc., Orange, CA, USA, Sr. Engineer
- 2006~2007 : Sunggyunkwan Univ Research Professor
- 2007~Present : School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea Univ., Professor
Research interests lie in the areas of high performance concrete – fiber reinforcement, toughening mechanisms,
and durability of construction materials
• Research on high performance microfiber reinforced concrete at UC Berkeley. (10/1997-05/2002)
- Design and develop experimental procedures for small size fracture test to investigate failure mechanism of fiber-reinforced mortar
• Research on durability of concrete related to ASR at UC Berkeley. (03/2000-05/2002)
- Devise a method to investigate the mechanisms involved in alkali silica reaction in concrete
OCTA SR-22 HOV Improvement Project, Orange County, CA - Engineer responsible for the seismic analysis and design of the I-5/SR-22 Separation Widening, SR-22/Santiago Creek West Bound On Ramp Widening, SR-22/Santa Ana River Widening, and SB I-5/SR-57/SR-22 WB Connector. The widening and new bridges were designed to add one High Occupancy Vehicle Lane and one auxiliary lane in each direction and to improve entrance/exit ramps along the existing State Route 22 between SR57 to 405 Freeway.
Fairview Bridge over Santa Ana River, Santa Ana, CA - Engineer involved in seismic analysis and retrofit design of an existing reinforced concrete bridge. The structure, built in 1964, was found to be structurally deficient. Non-linear analyses of the existing and retrofitted bridge were performed to determine the structures capacity including the effects of soil-structure interaction.
LAX Southside Airfield Improvements, Los Angeles, CA - Engineer responsible for design for the strengthening of the Sepulveda tunnel under Runway 7R-25L and the new center Taxiway AC. This strengthening is required to accommodate the increased aircraft loads of the new Airbus A380. The tunnel will be strengthened in two phases, first adjacent to the existing Runway 7R-25L, and later between the two runways for the new center taxiway. The overall project is an FAA-sponsored effort to enhance safety and improve aircraft ground circulation and operations. The Sepulveda tunnel is in the Caltrans right-of-way. The tunnel strengthening plans were processed through Caltrans and the City of Los Angeles. The design was coordinated with general civil engineers for runway lighting, drainage and paving.
1st Street Bridge Widening, Los Angeles, CA - Engineer responsible for retrofit design of the existing superstructure to enable it to accommodate future light rail transit loads as well as the additional loads from the future widening structure. Analysis of the bridge was performed for each construction stage in order to determine accurate load demands on the existing structure.
Port of Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA - Engineer involved in the modeling and analysis of a reinforced concrete wharf structure. A 3D model was developed to determine the live load demands on the superstructure due to moving gantry cranes and containers.
Yerba Buena Island Temporary Bypass Structure, San Francisco Bay, CA - Engineer involved in the analysis and design for the preliminary engineering phase. Responsible for designing the steel double deck bridge connecting the skyway structure to Yerba Buena Island. The 15-span Bypass Structure was to detour 5 lanes of traffic each way during the construction of suspension section of new bridge.
OCTA Centerline Project, Orange County, CA - Engineer involved in the advance planning studies and type selection reports for a 9,800-foot long aerial structure on the OCTA Centerline project in Irvine. The effort involved the design of four new stations, 8 pedestrian bridges and seven major street crossings.
I-5 Far North Widening Project, Buena Park, CA - Engineer involved in the design and quantity calculations for the Phase I and II I-5 Far North project by OCTA. The project included the design for four undercrossing structures and the replacement of 3 overcrossing structures on the I-5 corridor between La Palma and Artesia Boulevard. In addition, the project included a stormwater pumping plant, and a number of unique architectural / structural enhancements on the overcrossings due to their significance of being located at the northern boundary of Orange County on the I-5 corridor.
210/I-215 Interchange, San Bernardino County, CA - Engineer involved in the analysis and design for the Cajon/East-South Connector. The East-South Connector is an approximately 445m long and 13m wide prestressed curved bridge. It crosses over Cajon Boulevard, 4 Railroad tracks, and the 27th Street offramp. The design included provisions for specific fault rupture criteria which imposed much more stringent seismic design parameters than Caltran’s SDC.
Glendale Hyperion Viaduct Vulnerability Study, Los Angeles, CA - Eengineer responsible for Independent Check of the seismic modeling and analysis of a 75 year old multi-span reinforced concrete viaduct. The bridge consists of 2 open-spandrel arch spans, 12 reinforced concrete filled-spandrel arch barrel spans and 6 abutments. The curved and elevated roadway alignment of the existing structure was accurately modeled in 3D using Sap2000.
1. 2000.02 Quasi-brittle behavior of cementitious matrix composites MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING A-STRUCTURAL MATERIALS PROPERTIES MICROSTRUCTURE AND PROCESSING ELSEVIER SCIENCE SA
2. 2001.03 Strengthening and toughening mechanisms in microfiber reinforced cementitious composites JOURNAL OF MATERIALS SCIENCE KLUWER ACADEMIC
3. 2001.01 Tensile strength enhancement in interground fiber cement composites CEMENT CONCRETE COMPOSITES ELSEVIER SCI LTD
4. 2005.01 Mechanical approach in mitigating alkali-silica reaction CEMENT AND CONCRETE RESEARCH PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
5. 2007.05 Effect of confinement on properties and characteristics of alkali-silica reaction gel ACI MATERIALS JOURNAL AMER CONCRETE INST
6. 2007.08 Crack/fiber interaction and crack growth resistance behavior in microfiber reinforced mortar specimens MATERIALS AND STRUCTURES SPRINGER
7. 2007.01 미세강섬유의구속력이모르타르의알칼리-실리카반응에미치는영향 콘크리트학회 논문집 한국콘크리트학회
8. 2008.03 Interfacial bond strength of glass fiber reinforced polymer bars in high-strength concrete COMPOSITES PART B-ENGINEERING Elsevier
9. 2008.03 Strengthening of concrete with mixed confinement materials - Steel hoops and FRP composites SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING OF COMPOSITE MATERIALS Freund Publishing House Ltd
10. 2008.06 GFRP 보강근의부착파괴면 콘크리트학회 논문집 한국콘크리트학회
11. 2009.11 EXPERIMETAL STUDY ON THE FRP-CONCRETE BOND BEHAVIOR UNDER REPEATED LOADINGS MECHANICS OF COMPOSITE MATERIALS SPRINGER
12. 2010.02 Experimental study on the shear strength of recycled aggregate concrete beams MAGAZINE OF CONCRETE RESEARCH THOMAS TELFORD PUBLISHING
13. 2010.02 Compressive Response of Concrete Confined with Steel Spirals and FRP Composites JOURNAL OF COMPOSITE MATERIALS SAGE PUBLICATIONS LTD
14. 2010.07 박리제에 오염된 철근과 콘크리트의 부착 감소 요인 분석을 위한 실험적 연구 대한건축학회논문집(구조계) 대한건축학회
15. 2011.02 Geopolymerization을 적용한 천연황토페이스트의 특성 콘크리트학회 논문집 한국콘크리트학회
16. 2011.03 순환골재 내부의 미세균열 발생형태 및 흡수 특성 대한건축학회논문집 구조계 대한건축학회
17. 2012.06 Geometry and friction of helically wrapped wires in a cable subjected to tension and bending INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF STEEL STRUCTURES KOREAN SOC STEEL CONSTRUCTION-KSSC
18. 2012.07 Bond stress-slip behaviour of two common GFRP rebar types with pullout failure MAGAZINE OF CONCRETE RESEARCH ICE PUBL
19. 2012.01 Characteristics of Alkali-activated Natural Hwangtoh Paste Utilizing Microwave Heating 한국건축시공학회지 한국건축시공학회
20. 2012.12 Biaxial flexural strength of concrete by two different methods MAGAZINE OF CONCRETE RESEARCH ICE PUBL
21. 2013.02 Effects of structural fibers on bonding mechanism changes in interface between GFRP bar and concrete COMPOSITES PART B-ENGINEERING ELSEVIER SCI LTD
22. 2013.04 Bond degradation of glass fibre reinforced plastic bars in concrete subjected to tensile cyclic loads JOURNAL OF REINFORCED PLASTICS AND COMPOSITES SAGE PUBLICATIONS LTD
23. 2013.06 Flexural fatigue behaviour of concrete under uniaxial and biaxial stress MAGAZINE OF CONCRETE RESEARCH ICE PUBLISHING
24. 2014.05 Development of Alkali-Activated Binder using Hwangtoh without Calcination CONSTRUCTION AND BUILDING MATERIALS ELSEVIER SCI LTD
25. 2015.01 Waste glass sludge as a partial cement replacement in mortar CONSTRUCTION AND BUILDING MATERIALS ELSEVIER SCI LTD
26. 2015.04 전도성 재료 혼입 모르타르의 UHF파 차폐 효과 대한건축학회논문집 구조계 대한건축학회
27. 2015.06 고로슬래그가 다량 혼입된 고강도 콘크리트의 수축 특성 및 균열 잠재성 평가 대한건축학회논문집 구조계 대한건축학회
28. 2015.11 Microwave curing of alkali-activated binder using hwangtoh without calcination CONSTRUCTION AND BUILDING MATERIALS ELSEVIER SCI LTD
29. 2016.02 Effect of fiber geometry on the electromagnetic shielding performance of mortar COMPUTERS AND CONCRETE TECHNO-PRESS
Construction Material and Experiments(건설재료 및 실험) ACEE252
Introduction to Material(재료개론) ACEE267
Advanced Concstruction Material and Experiments(첨단건설 및 재료 실험) ACEE351
Material for Super Tall Building(초고층구조재료) ACE656
Concrete Material Engineering(콘크리트재료공학) ACE 653
Development of Eco-Friendly Construction Material(친환경건설재료개발) ACE655