I am Professor in the Department of Public Administration at Korea University. My research and teaching interests are in care ethics, justice theory, feminist theory, and normative policy analysis. My articles appeared in various journals including Critical Social Policy, Journal of Social Philosophy, Public Affairs Quarterly, Journal of Women, Politics & Policy, International Journal of Care and Caring, Ethics and Social Welfare, and Women’s Studies International Forum.
Currently I am working on a book, Caring Democratic State, which explores the philosophical background and the normative justification of a caring state and its institutional and policy design. Caring Democratic State would cover topics including the definition of a caring state, the political theory of care ethics, the comparison of caring state with welfare state, care as a constitutional value and the shared public responsibility for care.
In 2016, I published Normative Policy Analysis, which examines various public policies from a philosophical perspective. I co-authored a book, Critiques of Korean Multiculturalism (2016), which addresses the multicultural influence on Korean society and the critique against it, and a book, Crisis and Vision of Contemporary Politics (2020), which addresses the ideas of contemporary political theorists. In 2018, I co-edited a book, Care & Fairness, which is a collection of essays on the theory and practice of care ethics and legal fairness.
In addition, I have translated six books on care ethics and democracy into Korean.
- Joan Tronto’s Caring Democracy
- Eva Kittay’s Love's Labor
- Virginia Held’s The Ethics of Care
- Daniel Engster’s The Heart of Justice
- Maxine Eichner's The Supportive State (forthcoming)
- Iris Marion Young's Inclusion and Democracy
- Crisis and Vision of Contemporary Politics (Seoul: Acarnet, 2020, co-authored) [in Korean].
- Poyonggwa Minjujuii (Seoul: Parkyoungsa, 2020, co-translated) [Iris Marion Young, Inclusion and Democracy (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000)].
- "Care and Welfare," Governmental Studies Vol. 27, No. 1 (Sept. 2021): 35-62.
- “COVID-19, Care Injustice and Care-inclusive State,” Korean Public Administration Review Vol. 55, Vol. 2 (June 2021). Co-authored with Sunkyoung Park.
- “Public Perception on the Public Value of Care and State Roles for Care Justice during the COVID-19 Crisis,” Korea and International Society Vol. 37, No. 1 (Spring 2021): 117-152. Co-authored with Sunkyoung Park.
- “Caring Democracy: Beyond Liberal and Social Democracies,” Korean Women’s Studies Vol. 36, No. 1 (March 2020): 59-93.
- “Examining Dual Poverty Studies From the Perspective of Care,” Korean Social Policy Vol. 26, No. 1 (March 2019): 35-59. Co-authored with Youngmin Shin.
- Public Philosophy (Social Justice, Global Justice)
- Caring State and Care Ethics
- Normative Policy Analysis
- Feminist Theory & Policy
- Minority Politics & Policy
- Graduate level:
Public Philosophy, Normative Policy Analysis, Global Justice, Multiculturalism: Theory and Policy,
- Undergraduate level:
Public Philosophy and Ethics, Normative Analysis of Public Policy, Feminism